Time is Quickly Running Out for ACA Website Fixes
show comments
  • Bruce

    Assuming they get this web site fixed, the law will be in a worse position next year when people receiving employer provided healthcare either get their policies cancelled and are told by their employer to go to the exchanges or the employers have to drastically increase premiums. Both things will happen and the number of people it will happen to will increase by tens of millions versus individual policyholders that are getting it now.. The system was not functioning well before, but 85% of the populace was content with their coverage. These guys blew up the whole system to allegedly correct it for the other 15%, but by the time it’s over, more than 15% will be in bad shape. One does have to question motives. These people are ideologically rigid, but they aren’t stupid. Are they really surprised? Of course not.

  • Mark Mazer

    “or the law will be in a bad position indeed”

    Well, no WRM. Those of us that had insurance and will be without on 1/1/14 will be in a bad position. I had an individual
    insurance plan, even with pre-existing conditions, that is out of business upon the New Year (Inclusive in NC). Willing to commit civil disobedience to protest GK Butterfield’s and Kay Hagen’s malfeasance. Spitting mad. This will not be pretty. Can’t tell you how many hours I have tried to get somewhere in the hellhole of the ACA rollout. My computer skills are pretty good, been at it since the days of punchcards.

  • Matt B

    As an experienced software developer and project manager, let me offer my professional opinion: we’re doomed. The idea that Kathleen Sebelius has a “punch list” of defects to resolve is laughable. That analogy is from construction, where the building is largely done but there are a number of minor jobs that need to be completed. The better analogy here is is trying to drive a car that has been abandoned in a field for 10 years. You start with a few defects: the car won’t start, and the lights don’t work. As you work through these defects, they grow exponentially as each problem is found to have multiple causes behind it.

    I’ve heard that this project has been in progress for 4 years, has consumed $400M, and involved 55 contractors. The administration has effectively dug a deep hole, and it will likely take a comparable investment to dig their way out. If Sebelius can show any demonstrable progress by December 1, I’ll eat my hat.

    • f1b0nacc1

      I agree with everything that you have said, but I believe you are mistaken in your final prediction.
      The administration will declare that they have made substantial progress (or some similar euphemism) on or about 11/30, and the media will simply stop reporting all but the most egregious failures (perhaps not even those), and the story will fade away. The fact that it will be an outright lie won’t matter.

      • Matt B

        I agree they will try their best to spin this, but putting lipstick on a pig will only get you so far.

    • Boritz

      Add to that the fact that software fixes are a ‘whack a mole’ proposition with some attempts at fixes creating new problems. A complete accounting has problems that fall into three categories: those that are known, those that will be discovered, and those that will be created while attempting to correct the first two categories.

© The American Interest LLC 2005-2017 About Us Masthead Submissions Advertise Customer Service
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.