Ahead of a high-level EU summit in Brussels today and tomorrow, at which the issue of migrants will be atop the agenda, two reports by the government of Luxembourg have concluded that migrant flows remain “practically unchanged” or only a little lowered since the EU and Turkey announced a landmark, $3.3 billion action plan on November 29. Reuters reports:
The report by the Luxembourg government, in its current capacity as president of EU ministerial councils, said about 4,000 people a day arrived from Turkey since the accord on Nov. 29, a “slight reduction” from the 5,000-6,000 seen earlier in that month. But this was not necessarily due to Turkish action.
“This decrease may, however, also be attributed to other factors,” said the report, seen by Reuters and sent to EU leaders ahead of a summit on Thursday in Brussels at which they will discuss efforts to stem the migration crisis.
A separate report on the functioning of the EU-Turkey action plan agreed with Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu in Brussels has concluded that migrant arrivals from Turkey were “practically unchanged” in the two weeks after the signing from the two weeks preceding it, an EU official said.
At the time the action plan was announced, WRM noted that “Unfortunately, however, the chances are high that the agreement will not succeed in stopping the flow. Turkey has never been entirely in control of its southern border, where Kurdish militants have been active for many years. If the U.S. cannot control the Rio Grande, Turkey will have even greater difficulty with the wild and unsettled border it shares with Syria and Iraq.” So far, this seems to be holding up.
And meanwhile, the EU is rewarding the actions of the increasingly autocratic President Erdogan. It’s one thing to sell your soul for an end to the refugee crisis. But for a “slight reduction?”