ACA Agonistes
Debate Over GOP Health Care Plan is Woefully Short-Sighted
show comments
  • Andrew Allison

    “How we pay for health care is ultimately secondary to whether we are delivering efficiently.” is completely misguided. The issue is not whether we are delivering healthcare efficiently; it’s whether we are paying for it efficiently, which is manifestly not the case.

  • TommyTwo

    “there are promising ideas in this proposal, though it would be sure to cause disruptions.”

    Anything will cause disruption. Have Americans been replaced by Frenchmen?

    • Andrew Allison

      Give the recent news from the Elysee Palace, I can only say: I wish.

      • TommyTwo

        To go for the obvious joke: If I were Barack Obama, I would be too scared to emulate Hollande.

  • Anthony

    Are we proposing here both insurance industry deregulation and consumer obligation to accept a larger responsibility for their health care costs (Patient Choice, Affordability, Responsibility, and Empowerment Act – Care).

  • qet

    Via Meadia is right but the point is irrelevant. Government cannot control the improvement in efficiency, cannot set it to a timetable, cannot make campaign promises based on improvements that will deliver votes. All Congress can do is encourage improvements in efficiency generally by some combination of regulation, deregulation and funding of basic research and development. That is an excellent long term strategy, but then no politician will be able to claim credit for the resulting improvements, so it’s a dead letter. Congress and the Executive are under the impression that what they are supposed to do, what “governance” calls for, is “policy.” 80% of all “policy” consists solely in Congress taking tax and borrowed Chinese dollars and handing it out to discrete political constituencies, and the remaining 20% consists in forcing certain private economic actors to pay money to other discrete constituencies. From the standpoint of our politics, “who pays” isn’t everything, it’s the only thing. For my part, I support elimination of the tax exemption for employer-provided health insurance, and the other deductions and exemptions that libertarians in their schematic purity want to see eliminated, only if at the same time there is a substantial reduction in marginal tax rates. The GOP needs to stop trying to gain the marginal vote by trending more Democratic. If health insurance is as important as the Wonkblogs and MoneyBoxes of this country say it is, then it merits funding from reduction in other spending programs–farm bills, Pentagon fighter programs, social security (via means-testing), etc.

  • ljgude

    It’s just more deck chairs. The iceberg already buried in the bowels of US Healthcare is that it costs double the OECD average. The ACA just added more superstructure which is threatening to capsize the whole enterprise. No attempt was made at cost reduction, only limitation of the increase to 1.5% of GDP (16% current to 17.5% by 2017). So now the Republicans want to repaint the superstructure? It is pretty clear that Blue Model Democrats are going to go down with the ship, but I am surprised that Republicans seem to want a piece of the action.

  • Boritz

    It was revealing to hear Juan Williams dis the Republican plan on the basis that it doesn’t provide enough of the same goodies that Obamacare does therefore it isn’t a worthy replacement. No discussion of the horrid consequences happening to real people. Just a desire to make a chart and compare which features of each have a check mark in the yes column like you were trying to choose between Turbotax or Taxcut. If Turbotax ate my plan and my doctor and Taxcut didn’t or vice versa I’d have a clear choice I think.

  • Anthony

    An additional observation: as long as discussion/politics devolve into a Republican or Democratic position/plan, health care as provided for majority of Americans will continue to be saddled with huge costs and its infrastructure (along with varied interests) will remain both robust and growing.

© The American Interest LLC 2005-2017 About Us Masthead Submissions Advertise Customer Service
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.